Unbelievable Low-FODMAP 5-Minute Microwave Cinnamon Bun; Gluten-free, Vegan
January 3, 2020Printer Friendly Version
My daughter’s latest obsession is cinnamon buns. She gets them from Kroger. She gets them from Panera. She picks them up at the mall. She luxuriates over them and exclaims how they are the best things ever.
“Mom,” she says, “Cinnamon buns are LIFE”.
Talk about dramatic.
But, it certainly makes me wish for my own gooey, sugary, warm glazed treat.
While I am thrilled with my low-FODMAP Gooey Cinnamon Bun recipe, at the end of a busy workday, I don’t have the time to whip up a batch.
I have found my solution!
A low-FODMAP Microwave Cinnamon Bun recipe. Ready in about 5 minutes. Basic ingredients.
Full disclosure here, we need to make sure everyone has realistic expectations, so no one is disappointed by my low-FODMAP Cinnamon Bun. You will not have high yeasty layers to pull apart, and you can’t expect oven-caramelized sugar.
However, this low-FODMAP Microwave Cinnamon Bun is incredible. Even my daughter approved.
If you are a cinnamon and glaze fan, I guarantee it will be a nice supplement to your recipe box.
You may also love:
- low-FODMAP Chocolate Mug Cake
- low-FODMAP Maple Cinnamon Pecan Mug Muffin
- low-FODMAP Peanut Butter and Jelly Mug Cake
- low-FODMAP Microwave Almond Butter White Chocolate Cookie
- low-FODMAP Pumpkin Mug Cake with Cream Cheese Swirl
Or check out over 300 more low-FODMAP recipes on the blog, IBS-friendly!
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
Unbelievable Low-FODMAP 5 Minute Microwave Cinnamon Bun; Gluten-free, Vegan
Although this recipe has not been tested, a single serving should be low-FODMAP based on the ingredients
Prep time: About 4 minutes
Cook time: 60 seconds
Equipment: 8-10 ounce microwave safe mug
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted in microwave for 10 seconds); divided
- Can also use butter, for non vegan
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup gluten-free Bisquick or other low-FODMAP, gluten-free baking mix
- if not available, see my low-FODMAP recipe swap blog for a hint on making your own at home!
- 3-4 tablespoons of low-FODMAP milk , plus 1-2 teaspoons (such as almond milk, canned coconut milk or lactose-free milk for non-vegan version); divided
- If you use the egg as described next, then you will likely need about 2-3 tbsp of milk only
- 1 tablespoon whisked egg (optional, for non-vegan)
- *will make the dough softer, but the recipe will work great without it too
- If you use more egg then it is too spongy, whisk the egg and measure out one tablespoon (if you make more than one cinnamon bun then you will have less waste)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- In a separate little bowl, mix 1 tbsp white sugar, gluten-free Bisquick, 1 tbsp of melted coconut oil or butter, and vanilla
- Slowly add about 3 tbsp low-FODMAP milk together to form a dough (if you plan to add the 1 tbsp whisked egg, then use that here)
- In a separate small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon with the remaining coconut oil or butter
- Place dough on a long piece of lightly floured saran or plastic wrap and pat/roll to a rectangular shape, about 3 inches wide by 10 inches long
- Spread with the brown sugar mixture
- Roll into a swirl and put in mug (gently lift the edge of the plastic wrap to help you roll it)
- Microwave for 60 seconds (may take about 10 seconds more depending on your microwave)
- Prepare glaze
- Mix the confectioner’s sugar with the remaining milk, 1 tsp at a time until desired consistency
- Drizzle warm low-FODMAP cinnamon roll with low-FODMAP glaze, and serve immediately
- Can enjoy in the mug, or invert the mug gently to enjoy this on a plate instead
- Sooooo cinnamon-y and good!
Printer Friendly Version