Rich Low-FODMAP Hot Chocolate / Hot Cocoa Recipe; Gluten-free, Vegan
December 25, 2017Printer Friendly Version
Its officially winter, and I love to cozy up by the fire with a cup of low-FODMAP hot chocolate. This recipe is so easy, rich and satisfying. What a treat!
You can turn it into a low-FODMAP peppermint cocoa, low-FODMAP caramel cocoa, low-FODMAP almond cocoa, low-FODMAP cinnamon cocoa or low-FODMAP hazelnut cocoa also! Simply substitute the vanilla extract in the recipe for one of those flavoring extracts. So simple to change it around for anyone in the family.
I love my low-FODMAP hot chocolate with low-FODMAP coconut whipped cream, but you can enjoy it by itself (classic choice), or top with some marshmallows!
Check out my blog for more low-FODMAP recipes. We have over 300 more low-FODMAP recipes.
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
Rich Low-FODMAP Hot Chocolate Recipe; Hot Cocoa; Gluten-free, Vegan
Although this recipe has not been tested, a single serving should be low-FODMAP based on the ingredients
Serves: 1, recipe multiplies easily
Prep time: 10 minutes
Optional equipment: blender or immersion blender
- 1 cup low-FODMAP milk (unsweetened or vanilla flavored almond milk for vegan version), lactose-free milk for dairy version
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (titrate to taste), or low-FODMAP sweetener of choice (can use maple syrup, artificial sweetener such as sucralose, aspartame or stevia)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- for other flavors try peppermint, caramel, hazelnut, almond, cinnamon, coffee extracts
- depending on the potency of your extract, may only need a few drops. Add slowly to taste
- A pinch of salt
- Optional garnish: dusted cocoa, cinnamon, low-FODMAP coconut whipped cream, mini-marshmallows (check ingredients, some brands may not be low-FODMAP and/or vegan)
- Whisk together the cocoa, sugar, salt, and milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until cocoa and sugar are dissolved and it is hot
- I have also done this step in the microwave, on high for about 2 minutes, stirring halfway through
- Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla and serve immediately
- Optional- if you like it frothy, blend it in the blender, or use immersion blender
- Garnish with your choice of toppings
- Enjoy by the fire, or with my one of my favorite Happy Bars.. when its cold outside, its nice to be warm inside!
Printer Friendly Version