‘Melt in your Mouth’ Low-FODMAP Pecan Sandies aka Snowball Cookies; Gluten-free
October 23, 2018
Buttery, crunchy, sweet and messy, low-FODMAP Pecan Sandies are a fun to eat biscuit covered in powdered sugar. They are just the right size for a tasty little treat.
This low-FODMAP Pecan Sandies Recipe creates melt-in-your-mouth cookies, ready in just under 30 minutes. Some other names for these delicious cookies are Melting Moments, Russian Tea Cakes, Mexican Wedding Cookies or Snowball Cookies. They are so amazing you can see why they are popular all over the world!
You can opt to serve these low-FODMAP Pecan Sandies without the powdered sugary coating, or toss them in the sugar for the final steps to create the ‘snowball’ effect. Either way they are delicious, and so much fun.
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
Low-FODMAP Pecan Sandies/ Snowball Cookies/ Mexican Wedding Cookies; Gluten-free
Although this recipe has not been tested, a single serving should be low-FODMAP based on the ingredients.
Yield 40-50 cookies
Serving size 2-3 cookies
Prep time 15 min
Bake time 12-15 min
Bake 350 F
- 1 cup unsalted butter or vegan spread such as Earth Balance sticks
- I used butter
- 6 tbsp confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups Authentic Foods GF classical blend or your preferred low-FODMAP gluten free flour
- check out my low-FODMAP bake off blog to see my results with this flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum, if not already added to your flour choice
- 1 cup (about 140 g) toasted pecans, chopped very fine (you will need to toast these first if not done already – Bake at 350F for about 5 minutes)
- Between ½-1 cup confectioner’s sugar for dusting balls, depending on your desired amount of powdered sugary coating; divided
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking sheets
- In large bowl of electric mixer beat butter and 6 tbsp confectioner’s sugar until smooth
- Add vanilla and mix again until creamy
- Add flour and xanthan gum; beat until dough is formed
- Mix in chopped toasted pecans
- Scoop out dough using small cookie scoop and roll into balls about 1 inch in size
- In a flat bowl, place ½ cup of confectioner’s sugar
- Roll balls in confectioner’s sugar and place on cookie sheet about 1 inch apart
- Chill dough as necessary for ease of handling
- Bake at 350 F for about 12-15 minutes or until just lightly golden
- Cool on wire rack
- Once cool, toss balls in additional ½ cup confectioner’s sugar to coat, if desired
- Store in airtight container, or enjoy immediately, they also freeze well
- Perfect with a nice cup of tea…
- These low-FODMAP Pecan Sandies really do melt in your mouth!