Low-FODMAP White Frosting / ‘Buttercream’ for Wedding Cakes; Gluten-free, Vegan
September 30, 2017Printer Friendly Version
Low-FODMAP white ‘buttercream’ frosting. Ideal for a low-FODMAP wedding cake (like my low-FODMAP Rainbow Celebration Cake recipe; that I modified to be a low-FODMAP rainbow cake), or to cover any low-FODMAP cake. This recipe uses vegetable shortening to keep the color pure white. For optimum white color, use colorless vanilla or almond extracts depending on your preference. This low-FODMAP frosting pipes well, and looks low-FODMAP wedding perfect!
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
Low-FODMAP White Wedding Frosting / ‘Buttercream’; Gluten-free, Vegan
Although this recipe has not been tested, a single serving should be low-FODMAP based on the ingredients.
Prep time: 10 min
Makes enough for a standard double layer round cake (like my low-FODMAP white cake)
- 2 cups vegetable shortening
- 4.5 cups confectioner’s sugar/icing sugar
- 1.5 tsp colorless vanilla or almond extract
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- Cream shortening in stand mixer with whisk attachment until fluffy
- Add sugar and continue creaming until well-blended (I like to cover the mixer with a dish-towel to reduce sugar spray)
- Start at a low speed and then slowly speed up, scraping down bowl as necessary
- The shortening tends to form small balls, if this happens, slowly add the flavorings, then the coconut milk a little at a time until correct consistency
- Beat at high speed until icing is creamy
- Perfect on my low-FODMAP White/Rainbow Celebration Cake!
Printer Friendly Version