Low-FODMAP Vanilla Cupcakes or Layer Cake Recipe; Gluten-free, Dairy-free
February 28, 2019
Every chef needs a go-to recipe for vanilla (yellow) cake or cupcakes. This is the perfect gluten-free and low-FODMAP Vanilla Cake recipe for you.
These moist low-FODMAP Vanilla Cupcakes are perfect with any style of frosting- try one of my low-FODMAP frosting recipes for low-FODMAP Raspberry Buttercream, low-FODMAP Chocolate Buttercream, low-FODMAP Salted Caramel Buttercream or low-FODMAP Vanilla Buttercream.
These are so pretty and will be a hit at any party!
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
Low-FODMAP Vanilla Cupcakes or Yellow Layer Cake; Gluten-free, Dairy-free
Although this recipe has not been tested, a single serving should be low-FODMAP based on the ingredients
Serves 12 cupcakes (approximately, you may have 1 or 2 more)
Double this low-FODMAP recipe for a layer cake (serves 24)
Prep time: 15 min with cooling
Bake time 18-20 min for cupcakes (20-25 minutes for a 9 inch round cake pan); as oven temperatures vary, check about 5 minutes prior to suggested time so the cake doesn’t overbake
Bake 350 F
Adapted from “Gluten-free Baking Classics, Second Edition” Annalise G Roberts
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 & ¼ cups low-FODMAP, gluten-free, all-purpose flour (my favorite is Authentic Foods GF Classical Blend- check out my low-FODMAP Bake Off Blog to see why)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 & ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum (if not added to your flour choice already)
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup low-FODMAP milk (almond for a dairy-free version or lactose-free)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Vegetable shortening for greasing or cupcake liners
- Prepared low-FODMAP frosting of your choice:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place rack in middle of oven
- Place cupcake baking liners in 12–cupcake baking pan or grease with vegetable shortening
- Beat sugar and eggs in large bowl of electric mixer with flat paddle or whisk at medium speed
- Add low-FODMAP, gluten-free flour, salt, baking powder, xanthan gum, oil, low-FODMAP milk and vanilla; beat at medium speed for 1 minute
- Pour batter into prepared pans
- Fill cupcakes about 2/3 fill (do not overfill or they won’t cook properly and will spill over the sides)
- Place in center of oven and bake for about 20 minutes, until center springs back to touch and cake is very lightly browned
- Cool on rack for 5 minutes
- Remove cupcakes from pans onto rack and cool completely before icing
- Popping them out of the pan is an important step to ensure they don’t overbake and dry out
- Top with your favorite frosting from all my delicious low-FODMAP frosting recipes on the blog– I have tons to choose from, and any sprinkles or low-FODMAP decorations you desire!
- So moist and delicious!