Touchdown Low-FODMAP Chili recipe using Slow Cooker; Gluten-free
January 27, 2017Printer Friendly Version
I was inspired to share my favorite low-FODMAP chili recipe with all my fellow football fans. It is gluten-free, nutritious and delicious.
So easy! Just put in slow cooker and let that do the work. Best made one day ahead.
You may also love:
- low-FODMAP One-Pot Beef and Cheese Macaroni (30 minute)
- low-FODMAP Chicken Spaghetti (30 minute)
- low-FODMAP Slow-Cooker Beef and Potato Stew
- low-FODMAP Slow-Cooker Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup
- low-FODMAP Nachos
- low-FODMAP Buffalo Wings
- low-FODMAP Tacos
Or check out over 350 more low-FODMAP recipes on my blog. IBS-friendly!
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
P.S. Did you know that I have a cookbook coming out October 6, 2020?!
Touchdown Low-FODMAP Chili Recipe using Slow-Cooker; Gluten-free
Although this recipe has not been tested, a single serving should be low FODMAP based on the ingredients.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 8 hours slow cooker on low
- 2 pounds extra lean ground beef (can also substitute chicken, turkey or veal)
- 8 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 & 1/3 cups water
- 1 cup fresh or canned diced tomatoes (no onion or garlic added)
- 1/2 cup, 65 grams (about 1-2 ears) fresh corn kernels (can also use fresh-frozen)
- 38 g of sweet corn is one low-FODMAP serving
- Canned corn has higher FODMAP levels, do not substitute
- 1 tablespoon each: garlic-infused oil and onion-infused oil
- Infusing the oil allows you to enjoy all the flavors without the FODMAPs, because FODMAPs are NOT soluble in fats. This is the best trick to add these flavors to your cooking without the IBS flares
- Infused oils are available at Amazon.com, local markets, or infused oil boutiques (several near my home), also at Fresh Market stores (my low-FODMAP recipe swap blog has some tips on this). Many brands are now low-FODMAP certified.
- If you can’t find any, you can infuse your own- several websites describe this step by step
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons low-FODMAP Happy Spices Taco Seasoning
- Can also substitute:
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons ancho chili powder (several blended spice mixes have added onion or garlic, ensure you use pure chili)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Can also substitute:
- Optional toppings:
- cheddar cheese, grated
- fresh cilantro
- lactose-free sour cream
- Brown beef in choice of infused oil in saucepan on medium-high (about 5-7 minutes)
- I prefer not to drain my beef after browning (for added flavor of the fats), but if desired you could drain the beef after this step
- Place browned beef in slow cooker with all other ingredients and mix well to combine
- Cook on low for eight hours
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese (1/2 cup is one low-FODMAP serving) and lactose-free sour cream
- Serve with low-FODMAP corn chips, my low-FODMAP Homemade Butter Crackers with Sea Salt or my low-FODMAP Cornbread/ Corn Muffins
- This low-FODMAP Chili recipe is fantastic!
Printer Friendly Version