Low-FODMAP Oat and Nut Pie Crust; Gluten-free, Vegan
July 9, 2019
YUM. A crunchy and nutty low-FODMAP gluten-free and vegan pie crust recipe that you don’t need to roll out!
This low-FODMAP oat-nut crust goes superb with my low-FODMAP lime pie, low-FODMAP pumpkin pie and low-FODMAP Cheesecake recipes. You can make this oat and nut pie crust with walnuts or pecans, depending on your preference. Its sensational.
I use it as a replacement for a graham cracker crust in any recipe that calls for that (Graham crackers are not low-FODMAP)!
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
Low-FODMAP Oat-Nut Pie Crust; Gluten- free,Vegan
Although this recipe has not been tested, a single serving should be low-FODMAP based on the ingredients
Makes: One 9 inch crust; 8 or more
Prep time: 15 min
Bake 350 F
- 1 and 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts (about 130 g)
- 20 g is one low-FODMAP serving for pecans; 30 g is one low-FODMAP serving for walnuts
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- For vegans use vegan certified sugar
- 3 & 1/2 tablespoons melted coconut oil (can also use butter; coconut oil for dairy-free, vegan version)
- I used coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Place oats and nuts in food processor and blend until appears like coarse sand, about 1 minute
- Add vanilla, salt, sugar and mix together by hand, or in processor
- Slowly add melted coconut oil or butter (may need slightly less or more oil depending on how soft your nut mixture is)
- Transfer the nut/oat mixture to a 9-inch pie pan and push and press the crumb mixture into the bottom and two-thirds of the way up the sides of the pan using your flexible spatula or fingers
- Chill in freezer for 10 minutes or longer, then bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes
- The low-FODMAP crust is very soft so the chilling helps it keep its shape
- Recommend prepare a day ahead and chill overnight, prevents crust from being too brittle
- Fill and bake to recipe specifications- like for this low-FODMAP lime pie or a low-FODMAP pumpkin pie…
- It also goes perfectly in a low-FODMAP Cheesecake Recipe
So easy and so good!