Low-FODMAP Gooey Butter Cake; Gluten-free
February 18, 2021Printer Friendly Version
I first encountered Gooey Butter Cake when I moved to St. Louis, Missouri for my residency training. This rich, sweet and delicious dessert is super popular all over the MidWest, and has become a regular order at my favorite steakhouses. While some call it ‘chess bars’, and others ‘butter pie’, it is pretty much the same dessert.
When I realized I could make a shortcut recipe for low-FODMAP Gooey Butter Cake using my low-FODMAP Happy Baking Vanilla Cake mix, I was all-in!
This is a simple, delicious and dazzling low-FODMAP Gooey Butter Cake. You will want this dessert for every occasion.
But be aware, it is VERY sweet and VERY buttery. A small piece goes a long way 🙂
You may also love my:
- Low-FODMAP Happy Baking Fudgy Brownies
- Low-FODMAP Copycat Olive Garden Lemon Cream Layer Cake
- Low-FODMAP Vanilla Pie with Cookie Crust
- Low-FODMAP Sour Cream Vanilla Pound (Bundt style) Cake
- Low-FODMAP Creme Brûlée
Or check out over 400 more low-FODMAP recipes on the blog! IBS-friendly.
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
P.S. Check out my new COOKBOOK for over 100 low-FODMAP recipes, low-FODMAP Meal Plan, FODMAP Tips and everything you need!! It’s the BEST!
Although this recipe has not been tested, a single serving should be low-FODMAP based on the ingredients
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Total Time: 70 minutes (as ovens vary, your may need more/less time)
Equipment: 13 by 9 inch baking pan
Modified from versions by Paula Deen and aspicyperspective.com
- 1 box (26 ounces) low-FODMAP Certified Happy Baking Vanilla Cake Mix
- Be aware that other GF vanilla cake mixes may not work out the same
- 5 large eggs, room temperature; divided
- 12 tablespoons (1 & 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) salted butter, melted
- If you don’t have salted butter, then use unsalted and add 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 8 oz (16 tablespoons) package of lactose-free cream cheese, or regular cream cheese, softened
- If you tolerate lactose, then 2 tablespoons of regular cream cheese is one low-FODMAP serving
- 16 oz (1 box) confectioner’s sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- Baking spray
- Preheat your oven to 350º F and spray your pan with baking spray. Place rack in center of oven
- Combine the entire contents of your box of low-FODMAP Happy Baking Cake mix, 2 eggs and 12 tablespoons melted unsalted butter in a large bowl of an electric mixer and mix well on medium speed
- It will seem crumbly at first, but then will come together like a cookie dough
- Lightly pat the mixture into the bottom of your 13 by 9-inch baking pan
- In a second large bowl using your mixer, beat the lactose-free cream cheese until smooth
- Add 3 eggs and vanilla (and optional almond extract) then melted salted butter and beat together
- Next, add the powdered sugar and mix well until combined (slowly as it makes a mess!)
- Spread cream cheese mixture over the cake batter and bake for about 60 minutes
- Make sure not to over bake as the center should be a little gooey, with some jiggle in it (similar to cheesecake)
- Ovens vary, yours may need more or less time
- Serve warm, dusted with confectioner’s sugar
Printer Friendly Version
Want a 10% coupon? Just review this recipe & then email us at email@example.com letting us know which recipe you have reviewed. We will then send you a 10% coupon code (limit 1 per customer/email).