Low-FODMAP Gingersnap Cookies Recipe; Gluten-free, Dairy-free
October 22, 2018Printer Friendly Version
Sweet, spicy and so familiar. Low-FODMAP Gingersnaps cookies are the perfect addition to your holiday table. I love this recipe because it is easy and so good.
Although the omission of high-FODMAP molasses (I substitute low-FODMAP dark corn syrup) means these cookies are a bit lighter than traditional gingersnaps, they taste absolutely perfect.
Or check out over 300 more low-FODMAP recipes on my blog.
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
Low-FODMAP Gingersnaps Cookie Recipe Gluten-free, Dairy-free
Although this recipe has not been tested, a single serving should be low-FODMAP based on the ingredients.
Yield 40-50 cookies, depending on size
Prep time: 15 min plus 30 min for refrigeration
Bake time: 8 min
Total time: 55 min
- ¾ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup dark corn syrup
- 1 & ¾ cups low-FODMAP, gluten-free flour (I like Authentic Foods GF Classic Blend- check out my low-FODMAP Bake off blog for the reason why)
- ¼ cup sweet rice flour
- This type of gluten-free flour is made from ‘sticky glutinous rice’, rather than regular white rice. Be sure not to substitute regular rice flour. Bob’s Red Mill sells this type of flour and it is usually available at organic stores, Whole Foods or Amazon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum (if not added to your flour choice)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- granulated sugar for rolling
- Baking spray, parchment or silicone liners for cookie sheets
- Preheat oven to 375°F and prepare baking sheet with liners or spray
- Beat shortening and sugar in large bowl of electric mixer until creamy
- Beat in egg and dark corn syrup and mix until smooth
- Add in remaining ingredients and mix to form soft dough
- Form into flat square shape and wrap in plastic wrap
- This part doesn’t need to be too precise
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Form dough into one–inch balls using your hands or a small cookie-scoop
- Roll balls in granulated sugar and place on cookie sheet with 2 inches between cookies, since they will spread
- Bake for about 8 minutes, careful not to over-bake, since ovens vary
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool
- Perfect for Santa’s snack- and won’t upset his tummy!
Printer Friendly Version