Low-FODMAP Focaccia Flatbread Recipe; Gluten-free, Vegan
February 10, 2019Printer Friendly Version
This recipe for low-FODMAP Focaccia is easy and makes a crusty, chewy, delicious low-FODMAP bread. The low-FODMAP Focaccia is a great base for flatbread pizza toppings, spooning low-FODMAP Pesto or just dipping in olive oil (try infused oils for a great treat).
I like to dip this low-FODMAP Focaccia in olive oil, balsamic vinegar and my low-FODMAP Happy Spices Italian Seasoning. So good.
You may also love my low-FODMAP Maple Egg Bread, low-FODMAP Traditional Bread Rolls and low-FODMAP Pizza Crust recipes. Or check out over 300 more low-FODMAP recipes on the blog.
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
Low-FODMAP Focaccia Flatbread; Gluten-free, Vegan
Although this recipe has not been tested, a single serving should be low-FODMAP based on the ingredients
Prep time 15 minutes plus 45-60 minutes for rising
Bake time 15-25 min
Total time: About 90 minutes
Bake 400 F
Equipment 8 or 9 inch round cake pan
Modified from recipe of Annalise G Roberts, “Gluten-free Baking Classics, Second Edition”
- 1 & ½ cups Authentic Foods GF Classical Blend (or your preferred low-FODMAP, gluten-free flour)
- I love this flour for its consistent results- see my low-FODMAP bake off blog for the reason why!
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (if not added to your flour choice)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 packet (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- This recipe can also be made with dry quick-rise yeast granules, 1 packet (1/2 ounce); I found the active dry yeast resulted in a better rise and lighter low-FODMAP Foccacia
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or canola oil
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon water, heated to 110 F
- Vegetable shortening, for greasing
- Garnish options:
- Olive oil, fresh rosemary, sea salt
- Sun-dried tomatoes, chopped olives, other fresh herbs (oregano or basil) and parmesan cheese (non-vegan option)
- For a different taste spin- try infused truffle oil, wild mushroom oil or garlic oil (check out my low-FODMAP Recipe Swap blog for tips on shopping for these useful oils)
- Grease your round cake pan and dust with extra low-FODMAP flour
- Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl of stand mixer with flat paddle
- Pour warmed water (110 F) into mixing bowl with dry ingredients and add the canola or olive oil
- Mix until just blended
- Stop mixers and scrape down bowl, and then beat on high speed for 2 minutes
- Spoon dough into pan and spread with spatula
- Cover with cloth and let rise for about 45-60 minutes in a warm place (about 80 F)
- Should double in height
- Be patient, it may take a little longer depending on your temperature and conditions in your kitchen
- While dough is rising, place oven rack on lower third of oven and preheat to 400 F
- Once dough is ready, using your fingers or a brush gently rub olive oil on the surface of the bread, then sprinkle rosemary and sea salt or your other desired toppings
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (for 8 inch) or 15-20 (for 9 inch)
- Should be slightly golden but not browned (gluten-free flours don’t brown like traditional ones)
- Let cool on rack for 15 minutes then slice and serve
This low-FODMAP Focaccia is soft, light and soooo good. The perfect amount of ‘chew’ to the low-FODMAP crust.
Try it with my low-FODMAP Herb and Sun-dried Tomato Pesto!
Printer Friendly Version
Want a 10% coupon? Just review this recipe & then email us at email@example.com letting us know which recipe you have reviewed. We will then send you a 10% coupon code (limit 1 per customer/email).
Made this for Christmas appetizers and even though I have not tried baking a lot before it was easy and so light in texture. I haven’t had this style of bread since I went gluten free! I had 3 pieces. Thank you Dr Rachel for a great recipe!
Thank you so much Martina for your comment! We are so happy you loved the focaccia recipe 🙂