Low-FODMAP Fancy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches & Low-FODMAP Maple-Bourbon Reduction; Gluten-free
July 9, 2019
Fancy low-FODMAP grilled cheese sandwiches. For grown ups. With low-FODMAP maple-bourbon reduction. Whose mouth isn’t watering yet? The idea of an ‘adult’ low-FODMAP grilled cheese came to me when I was dining out recently. The house special was a decadent, gooey, crispy, sweet and savory, fancy grilled cheese (not low-FODMAP) that was passed around the table. I knew I had to create a low-FODMAP grown-up grilled cheese for my (self) blog!
Here it is. Low-FODMAP grilled cheese with swiss, prosciutto and low-FODMAP maple-bourbon reduction. It’s a low-FODMAP indulgance, dipped in the maple-bourbon sauce. Enjoy as a low-FODMAP lunch, dinner, or cut into small triangles and serve as an appetizer at your next party! Low-FODMAP adult grilled cheese is the bomb.
My low-FODMAP Maple Egg Bread is the perfect way to enjoy this low-FODMAP Grilled Cheese.
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
Low-FODMAP Fancy Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Low-FODMAP Maple-Bourbon Reduction; Gluten-free
Although this recipe has not been tested, a single serving should be low-FODMAP based on the ingredients
Prep time: 20-30 minutes
For low-FODMAP grilled cheese sandwich:
- 2 slices low-FODMAP bread (I used my low-FODMAP maple egg bread -perfect for this recipe)
- 2 slices/54 g swiss cheese or single serving of another low-FODMAP cheese
- 2-3 slices of prosciutto (Italian ham, no added spices)
- Your favorite oil for grilling (I used avocado oil- contains healthy fats, and has a high-smoke point with a buttery taste)
For low-FODMAP maple-bourbon reduction:
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 ounce bourbon (can also substitute other whiskey, or red wine, or lemon juice)
- 1 TB of fresh rosemary, broken into pieces
- In a sauté pan cook prosciutto and rosemary until meat is crispy, about 2 minutes over medium
- Set prosciutto aside for later, leave rosemary leaves in pan
- Deglaze the pan with bourbon
- Add ½ cup maple syrup to bourbon and rosemary
- Cook over medium, do not boil, until reduced by half, stirring occasionally (about 20 minutes)
- In a second saucepan, heat oil over medium
- Place 2 slices of bread in oil and lay one slice of cheese on each bread half
- Cover, and allow cheese to melt on low heat
- Uncover and place prosciutto on the cheese and then place one half over the other to center the meat layer in the middle
- Continue cooking on low until the cheese is completely melted, pressing down on sandwich with spatula
- When both sides are golden, serve with the maple reduction drizzled over top, or on side for dipping
- This is crazy good!