Low-FODMAP Egg in a Basket; Gluten-free, Vegetarian
July 1, 2023Printer Friendly Version
Egg in a basket. Egg in a nest. Hole in one. Eggs in a frame. Bullseye eggs.
So many names for this breakfast item.
Any recipe that has over 60 different names is likely to be pretty darn good 😊
I have been making this grilled breakfast since I was young, and realized that if you aren’t familiar with it, you should be.
So here is a low-FODMAP Egg in a Basket recipe! Easy, vegetarian, and dairy-free.
I love to slice some tomato or avocado on the side, or sprinkle this with grated cheddar. Add your favorite low-FODMAP fruits or some hash brown potatoes as well. Simple and GOOD.
For a full list of low-FODMAP Breakfast Options, see my BEST low-FODMAP Breakfast Recipe blog!
You may also love my:
- Low-FODMAP Egg Cups with Turkey Bacon and Cheese
- Low-FODMAP Shakshuka
- Low-FODMAP Breakfast Bake
- Low-FODMAP Incredible Pizza Omelet
- Low-FODMAP Bacon, Spinach and Basil Frittata
- Low-FODMAP Maple Cinnamon French Toast Casserole
Or check out over 500 more low-FODMAP recipes on the blog! IBS-friendly.
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
Although this recipe has not been lab tested, a single serving should be low-FODMAP based on the ingredients (using available FODMAP data at time of posting)
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 5 min
Total time: 10 min
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 slice of low-FODMAP bread
- If you tolerate gluten, you may opt for a white sourdough that has been fermented for 12 hours
- Salt and pepper
- Minced fresh parsley, for serving (optional)
- Cut a 1-2-inch hole in the center of the bread slice using a knife or a cookie cutter
- Low-FODMAP, GF breads are often small in size, adjust to your bread choice
- Place a 6-8-inch skillet over medium heat and melt your butter or oil
- Place the bread slice on the skillet and cook both sides (including the center bread circle, if desired) until lightly golden
- Once bread is golden, carefully crack your egg into the center gap-hole, then cover the skillet and allow to cook for about 2-5 minutes, or to desired doneness, adjusting heat as necessary
- If you like your egg cooked over easy, then gently flip to grill both sides
- For sunny side up, do not flip
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste
- Serve, alongside the crisped center hole, garnished with fresh parsley