Low-FODMAP Crunchy Salted Caramel/ Toffee Bark; Gluten-free, Vegan
July 9, 2019
Super easy, delicious and so versatile! This low-FODMAP Crunchy Salted Caramel/Toffee Bark recipe is perfect for any occasion. You can make it vegan, gluten-free and Kosher for Passover.
I love the way the crackers soak up the caramel and make a crunchy, crumbly sweet and salty flavor with the richness of the chocolate. This low-FODMAP Crunchy Salted Caramel/Toffee Bark is to-die-for.
Check out over 200 more low-FODMAP recipes on my blog. You may also love my low-FODMAP Mandelbrodt and low-FODMAP Chocolate Bark with Pecans and Cranberries (Trail Mix).
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
Low-FODMAP Crunchy Salted Caramel/Toffee Bark; Gluten-free, Vegan
Although this recipe has not been tested, a single serving should be low-FODMAP based on the ingredients.
Serves: About 42 squares
Prep time: 10 min
Bake time: 7 min
Total time: 15-20 min
Bake: 400 F
- 4 ounces gluten-free low-FODMAP crackers, or gluten-free matzo (for Passover)
- Basically the amount needed to layer the bottom of your baking sheet
- The closest gluten-free crackers to a saltine I like are Glutino brand
- If you can tolerate gluten, then regular saltines are low-FODMAP based on recent US testing
- This recipe will use about 42 saltines
- Manischewitz gluten-free matzo is recommended as other brands may contain honey or other high-FODMAP ingredients
- 1 cup vegan spread (I like Earth Balance)
- can also use butter for non-vegan version
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- Kosher salt or sea salt
- Chopped pecans/peanuts/hazelnuts for topping (optional)
- Line a baking sheet with an edge using parchment paper, aluminum foil or silicone sheet
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Lay crackers or matzo in single layer on the baking sheet
- In a medium saucepan, melt margarine or butter
- Stir in brown sugar
- Bring to a boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly
- Be sure the sugar is completely dissolved, or continue to boil until it is
- Mixture should be a deep caramel color and smooth
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla
- Pour over the crackers to cover completely, spread as needed
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until toffee is bubbling
- watch to ensure it doesn’t burn- ovens vary
- Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over surface
- As chips begin to melt, spread these evenly
- if they aren’t melting, just pop the tray back in the oven and watch for a minute
- can also melt the chocolate in the microwave or double boiler and spread it over the surface
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts or coarse salt or both (I used just salt for mine- so good!)
- Cool on counter until set, then refrigerate until hardened.
- Break or cut into pieces; store in air-tight container
- So addictive! I see why this is sometimes called ‘Christmas Crack’. Love my low-FODMAP Crunchy Salted Caramel/Toffee Bark!