Low-FODMAP Chocolate ‘Butter’cream Frosting Recipe; Gluten-free, Vegan
June 9, 2018Printer Friendly Version
The perfect topping for any low-FODMAP Cake, this low-FODMAP Chocolate Buttercream Frosting is smooth, creamy and so decadent. Plus you can make it without any butter, using a vegan spread (I like Earth Balance). Slather it on my low-FODMAP Chocolate Cake, or enjoy over my low-FODMAP Brownies, low-FODMAP White Cake or low-FODMAP Whoopie Pies!
Check out over 300 more low-FODMAP recipes on my blog.
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
Low-FODMAP Chocolate ‘Butter’Cream Frosting; Gluten-free, Vegan
Although this recipe has not been tested, a single serving should be low-FODMAP based on the ingredients
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups low-FODMAP vegan margarine or lactose-free butter, softened (for non-vegan version)
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (14 tablespoons) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut cream or low-FODMAP milk such as lactose-free (for non-vegan version) or almond milk
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder (this enhances the chocolate flavor, but does not make the frosting taste like coffee, don’t worry!)
- Add the margarine or butter to the bowl of a stand mixer using paddle attachment
- Beat until completely smooth
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder and mix on low to combine
- Add the espresso powder and mix, scraping down sides as needed
- Add the vanilla extract and beat on high
- Slowly add the low-FODMAP milk or cream a teaspoon at a time until desired consistency
- Spread over desired low-FODMAP cake, or scoop into a piping bag for other treats
- This is perfect with my low-FODMAP Deluxe Chocolate Cake!
Printer Friendly Version