‘Family Favorite’ 30-Minute Low-FODMAP Salisbury Steak Recipe; Gluten-free, Dairy-free
December 10, 2022Printer Friendly Version
This is a family favorite low-FODMAP dinner.
A delicious, hearty, ground beef patty, smothered in rich, mushroom gravy.
Not only is it savory and filling, but it’s ready in 30 minutes. Yup! You will love this recipe.
But, wait! Mushrooms, I hear you asking? How can mushrooms be low FODMAP??
FODMAP fact: Canning mushrooms helps reduce the amount of FODMAPs they contain! Although mushrooms are typically high in FODMAPs, the canning process ‘leaches’ out the carbohydrates that are tough to digest. While it is not quite the same as the fresh variety, the convenience of canned mushrooms can’t be beat.
This low-FODMAP Salisbury Steak is a one-pan meal that is certain to be as much a favorite at your house as it is ours.
You may also love:
- Low-FODMAP Braised Beef Ragu over Polenta
- Low-FODMAP One Pot Pot Roast
- Low-FODMAP French Dip Sandwiches in Slow-Cooker
- Low-FODMAP Slow-Cooker Beef and Potato Stew
- Low-FODMAP Hamburger Soup
- Low-FODMAP Cheeseburger Pie
- Low-FODMAP Best Beef Recipes
Or check out over 450 more low-FODMAP recipes on the blog. IBS-friendly!
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
P.S. Check out my COOKBOOK for over 100 low-FODMAP recipes, low-FODMAP Meal Plan, FODMAP Tips and everything you need!! It’s the BEST!
Although this recipe has not been tested, a single serving should be low-FODMAP based on the ingredients (using available FODMAP data at time of serving)
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 min
For the Salisbury Steak:
- 1 pound/16 ounces lean ground beef
- I used 85 lean/15% fat
- 1/2 cup low-FODMAP, gluten-free breadcrumbs (such as Panko)
- Try making your own with my low-FODMAP recipe!
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon onion or shallot infused oil
- Infused oils do NOT contain FODMAPs! See my low-FODMAP Top 11 Tips for the reason why!
- 1 teaspoon garlic infused oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) ketchup (I prefer brands with no high fructose corn syrup)
- 13g is one low-FODMAP serving
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon is one low-FODMAP serving
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons is one low-FODMAP serving
- 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon avocado or preferred oil for frying
For the Gravy:
- 1 tablespoon avocado or preferred oil for frying (optional)
- 5 ounces (127 g) sliced, canned mushrooms, rinsed and drained then pressed dry
- Canned mushrooms are lower in FODMAPs than regular mushrooms as the canning process ‘leaches’ out the FODMAPS. One serving is 75 g
- 2 tablespoons garlic infused oil
- 3 tablespoons low-FODMAP, gluten-free rice flour, all-purpose, or potato flour
- 2 cups low-FODMAP beef broth / stock, plus extra as needed
- Try low-FODMAP Certified Happy Soup for an easy option!
- 1-2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- If you like a lighter mustard flavor then use the lesser amount and titrate to taste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley and scallion tips, for garnish (optional)
- Place all Salisbury Steak ingredients into a large bowl (except oil for frying) and mix with your hands or a spoon until combined
- Divide into 4 oval patties about 3/4 inch thick
- Heat a large non-stick cast iron skillet over high heat and place 1 teaspoon of avocado or preferred oil for frying to heat
- Add the steaks and cook the first side for 1-2 minutes or until browned, then flip and brown the other side. Set aside on a plate to keep warm (they will still be raw inside)
- Prepare the gravy: Turn heat to medium and add 1 tablespoon avocado oil to the skillet to warm, if needed (you may already have enough grease in the pan)
- Place the canned mushrooms that are pressed dry into the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add the garlic infused oil, then the low-FODMAP, GF flour and stir for about 30 seconds
- Gradually add in low-FODMAP beef broth, stirring as you go
- Once mostly lump free, whisk in remaining ingredients (Dijon and Worcestershire sauce)
- Taste sauce, and add salt and pepper, ketchup, or seasonings to your taste
- I like a little extra ketchup in my sauce and 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Add the prepared steaks, then cook for 5-7 minutes, or until gravy is thickened and the patties are cooked to internal temperature of 160F
- Since these are made with ground beef, then they will need to be fully cooked, with only some slight pink inside
- If the gravy thickens too much, add more low-FODMAP broth; you may need an additional 1/2-1 cup if you like more gravy
- Garnish with parsley
- Serve Salisbury steaks topped with the mushroom gravy – This goes perfectly with low-FODMAP Mashed Potatoes!!
Printer Friendly Version
Want a 10% coupon? Just review this recipe & then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org letting us know which recipe you have reviewed. We will then send you a 10% coupon code (limit 1 per customer/email).
One of my kids favorites, now so happy he can still have it! Thanks for a wonderful recipe and for all the others on this website!
Thank you SO much for taking the time to comment!! Please stay in touch!