Crispy Low-FODMAP Breaded Fish for Fish and Chips; Gluten-free, Dairy-free
October 28, 2017Printer Friendly Version
Low-FODMAP breaded cod. Aka low-FODMAP fish for fish and chips. A classic British favorite, and a common Friday meal during Lent. I can’t pretend that this delicious, crispy low-FODMAP fish is the ‘healthiest’ meal, but I can say this low-FODMAP fish supper is an excellent source of protein, vitamins and minerals. And low-FODMAP eating shouldn’t mean you can’t have all your favorites. Lick those low-FODMAP fingers y’all!
Check out over 300 more low-FODMAP recipes on my blog.
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
Low-FODMAP Breaded Fish for Fish and Chips; Gluten-free, Dairy-free
Although this recipe has not been tested, a single serving should be low-FODMAP based on the ingredients
Prep time: 20 minutes
- Canola or Vegetable oil for frying (or your preferred oil with high smoke-point)
- 2 cups Gluten free flour (any type works well that I’ve tried)
- 1 TB baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can soda water/Club soda
- ½ cup Gluten free Bisquik (if not available can substitute 1/2 cup gluten free flour, 1/2 tsp xanthan gum, 1/4 tsp baking soda, ½ tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp sugar)
- 16 ounces of fresh or defrosted cod or haddock, cut into pieces about 4 ounces size
- Lemon wedges
- French fries (obviously)- make your own or buy your favorite!
- Condiments white vinegar, low-FODMAP tartar sauce, low-FODMAP ketchup, low-FODMAP ranch dressing, low-FODMAP no-honey dill dip or low-FODMAP secret/special sauce
- note: malt vinegar may contain gluten-avoid unless you know your brand is gluten-free
- Heat oil in large pan or deep fryer
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and egg
- Pour in the club soda and whisk until smooth
- Spread the Bisquik on a plate
- Dredge the fish in the Bisquik and then dip into the batter, letting excess drip off
- Submerge the fish in the hot oil for 4-5 minutes until crispy and brown
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt
- Serve with your favorite low-FODMAP condiments! Super easy!
Enjoy with this perfect low-FODMAP tartar sauce!
Printer Friendly Version