Classic Low-FODMAP Tossed Salad with Low-FODMAP Italian Vinaigrette; Gluten-free
November 28, 2018
A simple and timeless recipe for classic low-FODMAP Tossed Salad. Perfect for any night of the week.
This recipe can be modified to include cheese if desired, or add your favorite seeds (like pumpkin or sunflower).
Low-FODMAP Tossed Salad only takes a few minutes to prepare and is a wonderful healthy addition to every meal.
My recipe for low-FODMAP Italian Vinaigrette tastes sensational and oh-so-much better than store-bought. I hate all the ‘stuff’ added to commercial salad dressings (not to mention the invariable onion and garlic). Plus using my low-FODMAP Happy Spices Italian Seasoning makes it even easier! You can store the leftover dressing in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Check out over 200 more low-FODMAP recipes on the blog. Dig in!
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
Classic Low-FODMAP Tossed Salad with low-FODMAP Vinaigrette; Gluten-free
Although this recipe has not been tested, a single serving should be low-FODMAP based on the ingredients.
Serves 4-8 for salad, depending on portion size (you will have extra low-FODMAP Italian Vinaigrette)
Prep time: 10 minutes (plus 1 hour or overnight for marinating dressing)
For low-FODMAP Tossed Salad
- 2 cups of Bibb, Romaine or Butter Lettuce (about 1 large head of lettuce)
- 2 small Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced or chopped (peeled or not, per your preference)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and shredded or chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, mozzarella or Colby cheese (optional for non-vegan version)
- low-FODMAP croutons (optional)
For low-FODMAP Italian Vinaigrette
Yields: 1 & 1/4 cup dressing (20 tablespoons)
Serving size: 1-2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil; or 3/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup garlic infused olive oil
- for tips on shopping for these oils, see my low-FODMAP recipe swap blog
- 4 teaspoons sugar (adjust to taste, optional if you prefer less sweet salad dressing)
- 2 teaspoons low-FODMAP Happy Spices Italian Seasoning
- can also substitute:
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoons basil
- can also substitute:
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients for low-FODMAP Italian vinaigrette in a large shaker or bottle and shake vigorously to emulsify
- Isn’t my salad dressing bottle cute? I found it at TJ Maxx and I use it all the time 🙂
- Dressing may be left in refrigerator 1 hour or overnight to marinate (allows the herbs to rehydrate)
- In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients
- When ready to serve, toss with dressing to taste and preference (about 1-2 tablespoons per serving)
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese (non-vegan) and seeds if desired
- So good and easy!