30 Minute One-Skillet Low-FODMAP Mexican Rice with Beef; Gluten-free
December 23, 2019Printer Friendly Version
Boom. Here it is. Low-FODMAP One-Skillet Mexican Rice with Beef. The perfect dinner that will please everyone’s tummy.
A subtly spicy, hearty, flavorful dish with meat, rice, cheese and vegetables that tastes just like the meal you used to make. But, you guessed it! This low-FODMAP One-Skillet Mexican Rice meal is IBS-friendly too.
Simple, one-skillet recipes are always welcome in my kitchen, especially one that tastes this delicious. The best part is, you can feel good about it being a healthy choice because it is packed with vegetables, protein and complex carbohydrates.
AND it is ready in under 30 minutes.
If you want to make this a vegetarian low-FODMAP Mexican Rice, then omit the ground beef and add an additional cup of canned lentils. Absolutely delicious!
You may also love my:
- Low-FODMAP Cheeseburger Pie
- Low-FODMAP Best Tacos
- Low-FODMAP Touchdown Chili
- Low-FODMAP Hearty Meatloaf with Savory Sauce
- Low-FODMAP Family Meals Collection
Or check out over 300 more low-FODMAP recipes on the blog. IBS-friendly!
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
Low-FODMAP One Skillet Mexican Rice with Beef; Gluten-free
Although this recipe has not been tested, a single serving should be low-FODMAP based on the ingredients
Prep Time 10 min
Cook Time 15 min
Total Time 25 min
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (can also substitute ground chicken or turkey)
- If you want to make this vegetarian, then skip the beef
- 2 tablespoons garlic infused olive oil (for tips on shopping for these oils see my low-FODMAP recipe swap blog)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper (about 1 medium)
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon green scallion tips, or chives
- 1 cup canned lentils (drained and rinsed)
- My substitute for black beans in this recipe! For a vegetarian version, increase the lentils to 2 cups and skip the ground beef
- 1/2 cup of canned lentils is low-FODMAP, dried and cooked lentils are higher in FODMAP content (FODMAPs are leached out in the liquid that you drain from the can)
- 16-ounces Sassy low-FODMAP salsa, prepared
- Can substitute other low-FODMAP salsa, if desired. Be aware store-bought salsas typically contain onion and/or garlic
- 1 cup (130 g) fresh or fresh frozen corn kernels
- 1 low-FODMAP serving of fresh corn is 38g
- 3 cups COOKED brown or white rice
- 1 tablespoon low-FODMAP Happy Spices Taco seasoning
- can also substitute 1 & 1/2 teaspoons ancho chili powder, 3/4 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon oregano for similar flavor
- 1 & 1/2 cups shredded, sharp cheddar cheese
- About 1/3-1/2 cup shredded cheese is one low-FODMAP serving (40 g)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: additional cheese, hot sauce (I like Tabasco Original), shredded lettuce, minced fresh cilantro, chopped black olives, chopped green onion tips, lactose-free sour cream
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook beef (or chicken/turkey) in the infused oil, with peppers, stirring to crumble, until meat is browned and peppers have begun to soften (about 8-10 minutes)
- Drain fat and add scallion tips, lentils, salsa, corn, rice, and low-FODMAP Happy Spices Taco seasoning to skillet, stirring to combine
- Cover and continue cooking over medium-low heat stirring occasionally (about 5 minutes) until ingredients are well combined
- Taste sauce, and add more Taco seasoning, hot sauce or salt and pepper
- Remove from heat and top with cheese
- Serve with your favorite toppings
Printer Friendly Version