Low-FODMAP Five Minute Chocolate Mug Cake; Gluten-free, Dairy-free
December 26, 2017Printer Friendly Version
Mug cakes became a tradition in our home when my children demanded cake late in the evenings, and I didn’t want to reach for the preservative-laden snacks in the pantry. I suddenly realized how easy it could be to make a personal sized cake that would be ready in the microwave in 5 minutes. Naturally, I had to create a low-FODMAP chocolate mug cake for my own enjoyment!
This low-FODMAP chocolate mug cake is delicious, moist and satisfies your chocolate cravings. It is gluten-free and dairy-free and can be modified to add peanuts, pecans, almonds or chocolate chips!
You may also love:
- low-FODMAP Banana Muffin in a mug
- low-FODMAP Microwave Berry Crisp and Cobbler
- low-FODMAP Peanut Butter and Jelly Mug Cake
- low-FODMAP Maple Cinnamon Pecan Mug Muffin
- low-FODMAP Five Minute Chocolate Chip Microwave Cookie
Or check out over 300 more low-FODMAP recipes on the blog. IBS-friendly!
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
Low-FODMAP Five Minute Chocolate Mug Cake; Gluten-free, Dairy-free
Although this recipe has not been tested, a single serving should be low-FODMAP based on the ingredients
Servings: 1-2, depending on your personal tolerance to sugar in this recipe
Prep time: 2 minutes
Microwave time: 1 minute 15 sec (microwave ovens may vary, watch for doneness)
Use: Standard sized mug (about 10 ounces), microwave-safe
- 1/4 cup gluten-free, low-FODMAP flour of your choice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1/8 tsp xanthan gum if not added to your flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons whisked egg (one large egg is about 3.25 tablespoons)
- crack egg in bowl, whisk and measure out the 2 tablespoons for the recipe
- 3 tablespoons low-FODMAP milk of your choice (can use almond milk for dairy-free version, or lactose-free milk)
- 3 tablespoons oil of your choice (I have used olive and canola with similar results)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Desired stir in:
- 10 g chocolate chips (I usually just toss these on top before baking)
- About 15 g of pecans, hazelnuts, coconut, walnuts, or 12 g almonds
- Confectioner’s sugar to sprinkle on top if desired
- Combine ingredients in microwave-safe mug except desired stir-ins
- Whisk or stir well
- Fold in desired stir in, or sprinkle on the top of the batter
- Microwave on high for about 1 min 15 seconds
- Watch the mug, do not let it boil over
- Cake will puff up to the rim, then recede back as it cools
- Let it sit about a minute to continue cooking
- Enjoy immediately, can top with low-FODMAP ice cream or low-FODMAP whipped cream, or sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar
- So moist! Can’t believe this chocolate mug cake is so yummy, easy and low-FODMAP!
Printer Friendly Version
Want a 10% coupon? Just review this recipe & then email us at email@example.com letting us know which recipe you have reviewed. We will then send you a 10% coupon code (limit 1 per customer/email).
I am so happy I found your website! I recently got diagnosed with IBS and was so scared to eat anything because of symptoms. I have been able to enjoy eating meals and sweet treats again because of your recipies (I’m having this one tonight!). You are a godsend!
We are over the moon to hear your words. We know exactly what it feels like to be going through that! Stay in touch, and you have such a beautiful name 🙂
This mug cake was delicious, I honestly didn’t expect it to taste so good. I even tried making a chocolate chip mug cake without the cocoa and it was delicious.
That is wonderful feedback. Thank you SO much. We are smiling from ear-to-ear! Love hearing the modification for this recipe too.
ENJOY your day and keep in touch!!
Thanks so much for the recipe. We used coconut flour and added in some raspberries too. Cooked for a bit longer than you suggested but sooooo delicious x
AWESOME!! Thank you for sharing this comment!
We love your feedback and the modifications, they sound delicious.
We also wanted to share that we have a cookbook coming out October 6,2020.
The Low-FODMAP IBS Solution Plan and Cookbook contains more than 100 low-FODMAP Recipes that can be easily prepared in 30 minutes or less! Check out our Products page for ways to order and get a BONUS FREE PDF with your purchase.
Have a wonderful day and stay in touch 🙂
Amazing. I am going through the Low FODMAP diet at the moment and to have these recipes on hand makes it easier!
LOVE hearing from you! So glad the cake was delicious and you are able to enjoy foods you love as well. Please stay in touch and have a wonderful day!! 🙂
This recipe was ok. It does not taste so great without sugar. Is there a sugar substitute?
Is there a reason you did not use the sugar as the recipe directs? There should be 1/4 cup for the recipe. We agree that it is not correct if you didn’t use sugar.
I cannot have sugar 🙁 Do you know of any sugar substitutes that I could use instead?
Sorry to hear that.
Our dessert recipes are intended to be made with sugar, it provides both texture and flavor. We hope that your expectations for them are in line with your omission. We believe the recipe would generate more than 3 stars if you used sugar. Furthermore, we don’t suggest your try our other dessert recipes (such as the chocolate cake that you reviewed earlier) if you omit sugar. Sorry, but we don’t think they will taste proper or good.
There are some sugar substitutes suitable for the low-FODMAP diet, such as sucralose or stevia. However, we do not have experience using them as substitutes in our products. Let us know if you try some!
Ok, I will! I was told that egg substitute was also an option, do you know where I can get that?
You can make your own egg substitutes with either flax seeds or chia seeds. See this link for an example. However, we have not made all our products with egg substitutes, so we cannot guarantee their results. Good luck 🙂
Thank you 🙂
Another winning recipe! I love that it’s so quick and easy. I used mini chocolate chips for my stir-in, and almond milk and canola oil. It took a few extra seconds in my microwave – I just did it in 15 second intervals until it was ready. Thank you!
We are so happy to hear from you! Love that you enjoyed the recipe. Just the perfect amount for a delicious chocolate fix 🙂
Have a great day!!
I’ve tried a few mug cakes in the past and have always found them to taste like cardboard, this however was delicious. Can absolutely recommend people to try this.
Wow, you truly made our day with this amazing comment. Thank you so much for sharing. Stay in touch!!
The cake was delicious! I am currently on the low fodmap diet (elimination phase) and have been dying to have something sweet. I also have celiac. The flavor and texture of this cake was great. Will definitely recommend and make it again if I want a quick treat! Thank you!!
You made our day! Thanks so much for your comments!!
Made it almost exactly as described, only halving the sugar and reducing the oil to 2 tbsp. It was great. Used my own GF flour mix and happy to see it worked. Will be making it often. Many thanks.
Thank you Anjali for this comment!