Savory Low-FODMAP Stuffing/Dressing Recipe; Gluten-free, Dairy-free
November 10, 2016Printer Friendly Version
I joke with my friends that the best part of the Thanksgiving meal is not the turkey, its the side dishes. Sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes dripping with butter, corn bread, macaroni and cheese, green beans in creamy sauce and the grandest of all…THE STUFFING.
So, maybe I can’t fix all the rest (although I did finally get the low-FODMAP sweet potato casserole right), but I decided that stuffing needed to be low-FODMAP.
And here you have it! Delicious, savory, and oh so good. Low-FODMAP Stuffing or Dressing recipe for a low-FODMAP Thanksgiving.
Enjoy it anytime, or check out over 300 more low-FODMAP recipes on the blog.
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
UPDATE: I recently added many more low-FODMAP Thanksgiving Dinner recipes including low-FODMAP Macaroni and Cheese, low-FODMAP Mashed Potatoes, low-FODMAP Cranberry Sauce, low-FODMAP Pumpkin Pie and more! See my low-FODMAP Thanksgiving Menu for the full list!!
Savory Low-FODMAP Stuffing/Dressing; Gluten-free, Dairy-free
Although the stuffing’s content has not been tested, a single serving should be low FODMAP based on the ingredients.
Bake: 350 F
Prep time: 50-60 minutes (30 minutes bake time)
- 6 cups low-FODMAP, gluten-free bread, dried and chopped into cubes
- Select a dense bread; I prefer UDI’s Classic Hamburger Buns (or make your own if you have time using my low-FODMAP Maple Egg Bread Recipe)
- Bake at 200 F until dry (about 10 minutes), or set out for a day or two
- 2 tbsp. shallot-infused oil (can use onion-infused or other variety you enjoy)
- 2 tbsp. garlic-infused oil
- for tips on shopping for infused oils, see my low-FODMAP recipe swap blog
- 1/4 cup chopped celery (1.5 medium stalks)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 3 cups homemade low-FODMAP chicken stock (I make my own and store it in the freezer; you can also buy stock provided it doesn’t contain any high-FODMAP ingredients like onion or garlic. “Natural flavoring” in commercially available stock may contain onion and/or garlic)
- Check out my low-FODMAP Happy Soup base for a simple staple for your pantry
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 teaspoon low-FODMAP Happy Spices Italian Seasoning
- Can also substitute
- 1/4 tsp. rosemary
- 1/4 tsp. basil
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/8 tsp. sage
- 1/8 tsp. thyme
- Can also substitute
- Sauté celery and carrots in infused oils until soft and translucent (about five to seven minutes)
- Add salt and seasonings and stir until they release their fragrance (about one minute)
- Add bread cubes and toss together
- Add chicken stock and egg and mix until just combined
- Don’t overmix
- Transfer to a greased 9” x 13” or 8″ by 10″ baking dish
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 F or until the top is toasty
- Garnish with toasted walnuts or hazelnuts if you like…
- So savory, chunky and delicious! Low-FODMAP stuffing is the perfect side for any meal…
- Enjoy with my low-FODMAP Gravy recipe, or see my low-FODMAP Thanksgiving Menu for the whole low-FODMAP Thanksgiving dinner including desserts, appetizers and more!
Printer Friendly Version