Dr. Rachel’s Favorite Low-FODMAP Chocolate Chunk or Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe; Gluten-free, Dairy-free
June 28, 2017Printer Friendly Version
Who said that gluten-free, low-FODMAP cookies weren’t crisp on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside? They obviously have never tried the recipe for these low-FODMAP Chocolate Chunk/ Chocolate Chip Cookies.
These rich and delicious low-FODMAP Chocolate Chunk/Chocolate Chip Cookies don’t contain gluten or dairy, so this low-FODMAP recipe is sure to please any crowd.
I dare to declare this is the best low-FODMAP chocolate chunk or chocolate chip cookie recipe ever. These are the CLASSIC Chocolate Chip Cookies you grew up eating, just gluten-free and low-FODMAP to boot!
Stick with traditional round shapes, or try a low-FODMAP chocolate chip cookie-cake for your next big occasion (my kids love these).
Another alternative to beat the summer heat…create your own ‘low-FODMAP chocolate chunk cookie ice cream sandwich’ using your favorite low-FODMAP ice cream or one of my delicious low-FODMAP ice cream recipes (low-FODMAP dark chocolate ice cream and low-FODMAP vanilla ice cream).
You may also love my low-FODMAP Chewy Oatmeal Cookies or low-FODMAP Edible Cookie Dough recipes. Or check out over 300 more low-FODMAP recipes on the blog.
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, M.D.
Low-FODMAP Chocolate Chunk /Chocolate Chip Cookies; Gluten-free, Dairy-free
Although this recipe has not been tested, a single serving should be low-FODMAP based on the ingredients.
Modified from “Gluten-free Baking Classics; Second edition”, Annalise G. Roberts, 2008.
Serves 12 or more; recipe can yield between 24 and 70 cookies depending on size
Bake: 375 degrees F
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 15 minutes (for 12 cookies per sheet- adjust bake time for smaller cookies)
- 1 cup vegetable shortening (this low-FODMAP chocolate chunk cookie recipe works best with shortening, using butter will cause the cookies to get too spread out)
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups & 2 tablespoons Authentic Foods GF Classical Blend flour (check out my low-FODMAP flour bake off blog to see why this is my favorite low-FODMAP flour)
- 1& ½ tsps baking soda
- 1 tsp xanthan gum (if not included in your low-FODMAP flour choice)
- ½ tsp salt
- 12 ounces chunked semi-sweet chocolate (can substitute chocolate chips if desired)
- for this recipe I chunked low-FODMAP semisweet chocolate and low-FODMAP 80% dark chocolate for a bit of a variation
- Cooking spray or silicone baking sheets/parchment for lining baking sheets
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Grease cookie sheet with spray, or if making cookie-cake, grease 9 inch round cake pan and cover with parchment round
- can also use parchment paper or silicone baking mats
- Place vegetable shortening and 2 types sugar in bowl of mixer and beat well
- Add eggs and vanilla, beat at medium until fluffy (about 5 minutes)
- Add flour, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt
- Mix at medium speed until well combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed
- Add chocolate chunks and mix together by hand
- Scoop onto prepared cookie sheet, or press into cake pan
- Can make up to 70 cookies depending on size (I prefer large and made 24 big ones)
- Place in preheated oven to 375F for about 15 minutes; shorter for smaller cookies
- About 25 minutes for low-FODMAP chocolate chip cookie-cake (placed in 9 inch cake pan)
- Watch closely- cookies are done when light golden brown
- Edges will be crispy when cooled with soft centers
- Store in airtight container if they last
- Hint: Dough may also be pre-made, rolled into tube and frozen for 3 months. When ready to bake, cut out low-FODMAP cookies
- Enjoy as a low-FODMAP chocolate chip cookie cake or low-FODMAP chocolate chunk cookie ice cream sandwiches (for sharing)!
- Dig in!
Printer Friendly Version
Want a 10% coupon? Just review this recipe & then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org letting us know which recipe you have reviewed. We will then send you a 10% coupon code (limit 1 per customer/email).
This are the best cookies I have ever made.
This is fantastic!
We are so happy to hear from you. It made our day!!
Can we suggest taking a look at our COOKBOOK available in the US, Canada, UK and Australia?
THE LOW-FODMAP IBS SOLUTION PLAN & COOKBOOK will take you through the entire FODMAP journey and share more than 100 recipes that prep in 30 minutes or less! It also has a meal plan, grocery list and many more tips. Click here for details on the BEST low-FODMAP book available.
Stay in touch please!
Any alternatives to shortening? I haven’t used that in so many years.
Thanks for the question. We do love using shortening in some of our recipes, it can provide a better result than using butter or other substances in a gluten free version. As mentioned in the recipe, butter may create a more spread out cookie, but chilling these before baking for about an hour will likely help. We buy organic vegetable shortening for our baking needs. Good luck!