Easy Low-FODMAP Mayonnaise Recipe; Gluten-free, Dairy-free
April 4, 2019Printer Friendly Version
I love getting back to the basics. Simple ingredients. The true taste shining through.
This recipe for low-FODMAP mayonnaise is all about that. Easy and delicious.
Using fresh, all-natural ingredients means this low-FODMAP mayonnaise tastes so much better than store-bought, and avoids added preservatives and soybean oil. Try it with extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil, for a healthy variation. You will want to eat this low-FODMAP mayo right off your spoon!
I incorporate this low-FODMAP Mayonnaise in my low-FODMAP Deviled Eggs recipe, and it adds a depth and freshness to the flavor that is absolutely amazing. Or I spread it on low-FODMAP Multigrain Sandwich Bread for the perfect low-FODMAP lunch.
Note: this low-FODMAP mayo results in a light yellow colored mayonnaise due to the egg yolk and mustard, not the white color seen in store- bought varieties.
Be healthy and happy,
Rachel Pauls, MD
Low-FODMAP Mayonnaise Recipe; Gluten-free, Dairy-free
Although this recipe has not been tested, a single serving should be low-FODMAP based on the ingredients
Yield: 16 tablespoons; serving size 2 tablespoons
Prep time: 10 min
Equipment: immersion blender
- 1 large pasteurized egg yolk, room temperature
- As this mayonnaise contains raw egg yolks, for the safest option select (in shell) pasteurized eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard or yellow mustard (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Avoid mustard for Passover version
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup canola oil, extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil; divided
- 1 teaspoon white-wine vinegar or apple-cider vinegar
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional, depending on the tartness of your lemon)
- In a tall measuring cup or jar whisk together yolk, mustard, and salt until combined well
- Using immersion blender, begin adding oil
- Add about 1/4 cup oil slowly, blending until the mixture begins to thicken
- Add vinegar and lemon juice and blend to combine
- Then add remaining 1/2 cup oil in a very slow, thin stream, blended continuously
- Whisk in additional salt to taste and pepper, and sugar if desired
- Place in refrigerator in a covered jar until ready to use
- Consume within 1 week of preparation
- Creamy and delicious!
Printer Friendly Version